Where did these approaches come from?
In a quest to better understand the history and network of quality experts, improvement tools, books, and companies, I’ve been researching and tracing back the roots.
I would recommend starting with some of the key personnel within both methodologies, then reading and following the links of Influences and Influenced based on your interest.
- Bill Smith and Mikel Harry – Co-founders of Six Sigma
- Taiichi Ohno – Founder of Lean (Toyota Production System)
- W. Edwards Deming – Helped the Japanese improve quality after World War II, and whose teachings were fundamental to the Six Sigma initiative.
- Henry Ford – Influenced Taiichi Ohno’s TPS (lean) system
- Lillian Gilbreth – Known as “America’s first lady of engineering”
Hope you enjoy, and let us know what you’d like to see included in this website.