LERC was formed in 1994, bringing together the benchmarking and lean production work of Daniel T. Jones (together with James P. Womack of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), along with the work on supplier development and materials management of Peter Hines. It was supported by the Director of the Business School at Cardiff University, Professor Roger Mansfield.
Womack and Jones’ historic book ‘The Machine That Changed the World: The Story of Lean Production‘ (1990) popularized the term “lean thinking” and its adoption accelerated with the publication of “Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation” in 1996.
Two of LERC’s foundational research programs:
- International Car Distribution Programme (ICDP)
- Supply Chain Development Programme (SCDP).
- 5S Lean Training– creativesafetysupply.com
- “Lean” 25 Years Later– lean-news.com
- Jim Womack’s Top Misconceptions of the Lean Movement– kaizen-news.com
- What is Lean manufacturing?– iecieeechallenge.org
- Lean Supplies Chain Management for Companies– blog.creativesafetysupply.com
- Lean Thinking Questions– 5snews.com
- Lean Way to the Danger Zone– jakegoeslean.com