After working for 18 years with Data Processing companies, he started Productivity Inc. Press by publishing a newsletter called PRODUCTIVITY.
He has gone to Japan 81 times, visited more than 250 plants and published more than 100 Japanese management books in English.
He has met W. Edwards Deming, Joseph Juran, Phil Crosby, Kaoru Ishikawa, Joji Akao, Taiichi Ohno, Shigeo Shingo and many other great manufacturing masters. He is responsible for translating Japanese books from many of these authors into English during the 1980’s, bringing to light many of these techniques and concepts to the west.
He has lead over 25 study missions to Japan and was one of the first to find and publish books, training materials and run conferences and seminars on TPS, SMED, CEDAC, quality circles, 5S, visual factory, TPM, VSM, Kaizen Blitz, cellular manufacturing, poka-yoke, Lean Accounting, Andon, Hoshin Kanri, Kanban, Quick and Easy Kaizen, and the Harada Method.
He also founded the Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence at Utah State University with Dr. Vern Buehler, and has received the recognition for some of his books. He passed away in December 2020 at the age of 88.
- Paul Akers
- Vern Buehler
- The Leader’s Guide for Social Responsibility
- The Harada Method the Spirit of Self-Reliance
- Toyota Production System: Beyond Large-Scale Production
- Today and Tomorrow – Special Edition of Ford’s 1926 Classic
- Introduction to TPM: Total Productive Maintenance (Preventative Maintenance Series)
- Kaikaku: The Power and Magic of Lean
- The Idea Generator: Quick and Easy Kaizen
- A Miraculous Life – Autobiography about his life, free video recording
- Rebirth of American Industry
- The Idea Generator: Quick and Easy Kaizen (Workbook)
- All You Gotta Do Is Ask
- How to do Kaizen: A new path to innovation – Empowering everyone to be a problem solver
- The Happiest Company to Work For!
- Quick and Easy Kaizen Participant Workbook
- DMAIC Cycle– creativesafetysupply.com
- Deming’s Contribution to Japan and Continual Improvement– blog.creativesafetysupply.com
- What is Lean manufacturing?– iecieeechallenge.org
- Foundational Concepts of Lean– blog.5stoday.com
- The History of Six Sigma– lean-news.com
- Jishuken 101– kaizen-news.com
- The History of Kanban– creativesafetypublishing.com
- 5s Principles As A Foundation For Other Lean Management Techniques– 5snews.com