Acronym for Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous. It is a way to summarize how people view the underlying conditions for which they plan, make decisions, manage and assess risks, solve problems, and implement change and improvements.
- V = Volatility: the nature and dynamics of change, and the nature and speed of change forces and change catalysts.
- U = Uncertainty: the lack of predictability, the prospects for surprise, and the sense of awareness and understanding of issues and events.
- C = Complexity: the multiplex of forces, the confounding of issues, no cause-and-effect chain and confusion that surrounds organization.
- A = Ambiguity: the haziness of reality, the potential for misreads, and the mixed meanings of conditions; cause-and-effect confusion.
VUCA can be used to gain more control over a complex world by identifying as many situations and threats as possible under each of the 4 categories, then managing each situation individually, finding its own causes and resolutions or mitigations.
- Counter Volatility With Vision
- Meet Uncertainty With Understanding
- React to Complexity With Clarity
- Fight Ambiguity With Agility
- Leaders Make the Future: Ten New Leadership Skills for an Uncertain World by Bob Johansen and Brett Barry
- ISO 31000:2018 – Risk Management– creativesafetysupply.com
- Leaders Lead! 3 Tips to Improve Your Leadership Abilities– blog.creativesafetysupply.com
- Change Your Company Through Strategic Thinking– 5snews.com
- Resistance to Change in LEAN and How to Overcome it– lean-news.com
- The Tools of Kaizen– blog.5stoday.com
- 5 Tips for Kaizen Continuous Improvement– kaizen-news.com
- 10 Commandments For Continuous Growth– creativesafetypublishing.com
- Lean Way to the Danger Zone– jakegoeslean.com
- Is Your Organization Ready When Disaster Strikes?– safetyblognews.com