Yasuhiro Monden is professor emeritus at the University of Tsukuba, Japan, and was a professor at Tsukuba University from 1983 to 2004. He was instrumental in introducing the JIT production system to the United States through his book, “Toyota Production System: An Integrated Approach to Just-In-Time.” The book was awarded the 1984 Nikkei Prize by the Nikkei Economic Journal.
He received his MBA from Kobe University, Japan, and his Bachelor of Economics from Kwansei Gakuin University, Japan. He gained valuable practical knowledge and experience from his research and related activities in the Japanese automobile industry. His research topics covered not only production and operations management but also managerial and financial accounting, corporate finance, and business economics.
He received his Ph.D. in Management Science and Engineering from the University of Tsukuba, where he also served as dean of the Graduate Program of Management Sciences and Public Policy Studies and as chairperson of the Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences.
Dr. Monden’s international activities have included visiting professorships at the State University of New York at Buffalo (1980–81), California State University in Los Angeles (1991–92), and Stockholm School of Economics in Sweden (1996). He was also regional director of the Production and Operations Management Society (POMS).
In the business world he served as a JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) expert in Singapore for guiding TPS in 1987. He also acted as a JICA expert in Thailand for guiding Strategic Cost Management.
He founded the Japan Society of Organization and Accounting and currently serves as its editor in chief for the English-language book series entitled Japanese Management and International Studies, published by World Scientific Publishing Company in Singapore.
- Bob Emiliani
- Toyota Production System : An Integrated Approach to Just-In-Time
- Toyota Management System: Linking the Seven Key Functional Areas
- Cost Reduction Systems: Target Costing and Kaizen Costing
- Toyota Production System: Practical Approach to Production Management
- Management Of Enterprise Crises In Japan
- A Brief History of Kaizen: The Key Players– creativesafetysupply.com
- Janet Froetscher Discusses Workplace Safety– blog.creativesafetysupply.com
- Understanding The Kaizen Philosophy– kaizen-news.com
- Susan Harwood Training Grants Announced– safetyblognews.com
- “Lean” 25 Years Later– lean-news.com
- Random Safety Inspections Save Lives and Money– creativesafetypublishing.com
- What is Lean manufacturing?– iecieeechallenge.org